Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Resource Room Savers!!

Wow,
What would I have done without amazing mentor teachers, friends and my mother the last few weeks? I realized how many ideas I have stolen from the wonderful teachers in my life (you all know who you are). I was always told...never re-invent anything if it's already been made! 

This is very true. I was able to structure my resource room according to supplemental & reinforcing reading, math, spelling and writing activities I have seen during my past teaching experiences. My resource room is an instructional room where I provide the instruction. Students do not bring outside work from their general education classes. 

The programs I will be using are as follows:
  • Everyday Math
  • Leveled Literacy Intervention
  • Discovery Reading
  • Lexia
  • Read Naturally
  • Spelling & Journal.
I will let you all know the benefits of these programs in more detail as soon as I become more fluent in them. They all have great components, and they are used school-wide.

I really think the main advice I would give to myself a month ago would be "DON'T RUSH TO SCHEDULE STUDENTS THE FIRST WEEK." I rushed! Instead, give yourself some time to view the general education teacher's schedules, review your student's IEP's and hours they need to be serviced for special education services, and write up all their goals and put them on a poster in your room so it is very easy for you to progress monitor constantly. Take time to breathe.

Goals should be evaluated each month and you can make it easier on yourself by having the goals visible throughout the room. The students being aware of their goals also puts responsibility/accountability on them which is a necessary attribute to have, especially if you will need accommodations provided for you in different settings throughout your academic career.

I have also found the importance of structure and teaching a routine in the resource room setting. I am using a token economy, and the students are responding well to this. Students can earn money according to their behavior in class.

I implemented a whole group earning system where students must exhibit positive behaviors to earn a water drop to put inside the pail on the bulletin board. When this pail is full, the students will earn a class pizza party! I want to teach these 5th graders the importance of team-work.

So far, so good. If you have any ideas for me, PLEASE, let me know. I love sharing ideas!!


Miss P



No comments:

Post a Comment